I’ve always wanted to make Halloween masks! I knew that I needed a strong sculpt to begin the process so I decided to start with Plastalina since my husband has a ton of it in the garage. It can be tough to work with because it ‘s extremely dense and does not dry; which is a problem when your intention is to mold the sculpt with plaster. Next time I’ll give Super Sculpey a try.
Once I was comfortable with my creation, I decided to go against many YouTube artist’s advice and use strips of plaster instead of pouring plaster over my mold. Since I have an Ed Head, I mapped out an area for where I wanted to half mask to fit. Next, I added drippy, chalky strips of plaster onto the clay before realizing there’s a much better way to it. I have since ordered a half mold armature that I will use in the future. I will also definitely mix the plaster since you lose some of the fine detail when using strips.
I waited for the plaster to dry before adding more layers. Once I had about 7 or 8 layers of plaster, I felt that the mother mold was strong enough to begin separating the mold from the clay.
Next was the latex phase. I used a generic brush to apply layers to the inside of the plaster mold. I let each layer dry completely before adding more latex. I also made sure there were no bubbles, which would totally ruin the look of the mask. After I was sure there was enough latex, I left it outside in the sun and 100 degree heat for the day.
The final phase was definitely the most fun and rewarding! Paint! I took the advice of Stiltbeast Studios and made a mixture of 1/3 latex house paint, 1/3 latex and 1/3 distilled water to paint the mask with. I also used the “dry” brush technique. I was happy with the outcome.
Here’s my postmortem alien mask: